Consecutive interpretation is commonly used in one-on-one or small group settings to help facilitate interactions between people in two or more languages. One party speaks and pauses while the interpreter speaks, waits for a response, and then interprets the response back to the original speaker. We also have the technology to provide consecutive interpretation remotely when in-person interactions aren't possible. Our interpreters are experts in conveying meaning in an efficient and professional way.
Simultaneous interpretation is generally used for large conferences and meetings, or in situations where two or more languages are required and the audience has mixed language requirements. Sometimes called UN-style interpretation, interpreters are isolated in booths and listen to the speaker through a headset. They speak the translation into a microphone, which is wirelessly transmitted to headsets worn by audience members.
Not every interpreter is capable of performing simultaneous conference interpretation—delivering this service requires highly trained and experienced interpreters as well as specialized equipment, which we can deliver. We also have the technology to support either on-site or remote simultaneous interpretation.
Conference service interpretation
TransPerfect’s Conference Services group provides everything you need to make your global in-person or remote meetings successful including:
- On-site interpretation services, which could be simultaneous, consecutive, whispered, or escort
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation, both in person and via video conferencing
- Assistive listening devices or closed captioning for hearing-impaired audience members
- Translation for conference materials, including presentations and attendee communications
- On-site coordinators and meeting planners
- Conference website localization, including mobile apps and social feeds
- Audio and video transcription
- Interpretation equipment rental
- Recorded interpretation and other media-based solutions for virtual conferences
A specialty event manager is assigned to every meeting. This person acts as an extension of your event planning team. Our top priority is ensuring that your meetings run smoothly and accomplish your objectives.
TransPerfect Connect is our specialized remote interpreter group that provides over-the-phone interpretation (OPI) services, allowing you to overcome any language barrier within seconds. While many leading OPI companies use networks of overseas or at-home interpreters, the vast majority of calls that TransPerfect handles are routed to our US-based call centers in Arizona. We can serve as your primary OPI workforce or flex to accommodate your workforce overflow.
Coupling our over-the-phone Interpretation service with other language services allows us to support your complete organization’s identity to ensure interactions with your brand are consistent regardless of the engagement.
Video remote interpretation (VRI)
With an advanced web-access video service, TransPerfect’s video remote interpretation (VRI) solutions enable voice, voice/video conference, and group collaboration sessions between client representatives, qualified language interpreters, and non-English-speaking customers or stakeholders.
TransPerfect’s VRI solutions are completely device-independent, and connections can be made virtually anywhere and on any device with an internet connection, including desktop and laptop computers, tablets, and smartphones.
Escort / travel interpretation
We provide escort/travel interpretation for patients seeking medical care in another country, travelers to foreign countries, and hosts for people from another country. This more informal type of service can be provided to an individual or a small group of people, with the idea of making people, destinations, and cultures accessible to anyone. Escort interpretation can be used for tours, sightseeing, traveling delegations, and interviews, and to help international visitors.
Frequently asked questions
The main difference between translation and interpretation is that translation involves written content, while interpretation involves verbal communication. Translation uses computer aided translation tools and takes place over a period of time. Interpretation uses a different set of equipment, and it happens in real time usually over a short period of time.
Use a professional translation and interpreting service when you need high-quality or quick turnarounds on translations or interpreting services. A language service provider should have the language resources to accommodate your needs and provide a high-quality result.
1. Consecutive - translating content live with a speaker pausing to allow time for interpreting.
2. Simultaneous - translating content live with a speaker not pausing to allow time for interpreting.
3. Conference Services - interpreting for global in-person or remote meetings.
4. Over-the-Phone - connecting customers to interpreters via the phone.
5. Video Remote - voice and video and collaboration sessions between two parties and an interpreter.
6. Escort / Travel - informal interpreting for travel.
Simultaneous interpreting is when a speaker speaks without pausing, and an interpreter translates the content at the same time. With consecutive interpreting, the speaker takes short breaks after speaking to give the interpreter time to translate the content.
We're proud of the company we keep