Your personal data – what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller’s possession or which is likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data of European citizens or residents (“EU Personal Data”) is governed by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (referred to herein as the “GDPR”).
Who are we?
TransPerfect Global, Inc., TransPerfect Translations International Inc., Translations.com and all of their affiliated and subsidiary entities (collectively, “TransPerfect”, “we”, “us” or “our”) are a “data controller” of your personal information. This means that TransPerfect has control of your personal information and may utilize it for various purposes, including sending your information to “data processors” we work with.
How do we process your personal data?
TransPerfect complies with its obligations under relevant data privacy laws, including the GDPR, by keeping personal data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
The personal data that you provide (or have previously provided) to TransPerfect is stored in TransPerfect’s offices, its data center in the United States, and in the data centers of the service providers used by TransPerfect. As part of your employment inquiry with TransPerfect, we use your data to evaluate your suitability for a specific position and to contact you about that position.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To compare your qualifications to the requirements of various open positions
- To verify your statements about education, licenses, certifications and past employment
- Where required and allowed by law, to conduct a pre-employment background check
- To maintain our own internal records
- To communicate with you, including any potential offer of employment
What is the legal basis for processing your personal data?
We are processing your personal information under several legal bases, including because it is:
- necessary for compliance with our legal obligations (e.g., complying with our obligations under employment, social security or social protection law, or a collective agreement)
- necessary to enter into a potential employment agreement with you
- necessary for our legitimate business interests (e.g., managing and facilitating a global workforce)
- necessary for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims
You are required to provide such information as collected in order to be considered for employment at TransPerfect. Failure to provide such information may impact any potential for employment at TransPerfect.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal data will be treated as strictly confidential and may be shared:
- internally among TransPerfect employees who have a legitimate and limited need to access this information
- with certain 3rd party service providers who facilitate education verification and other background screenings
- to satisfy legal or regulatory obligations
- with clients who request or learn of such information during the course of their relationship with TransPerfect
How long do we keep your personal data?
We will keep your personal data for no longer than reasonably necessary for our ongoing business relationship, for record keeping or regulatory purposes, and in case of any legal claims or complaints.
Your rights and your personal data
If you are an EU or United Kingdom citizen or resident, your rights under the GDPR include the following (unless subject to an exemption):
- The right to request a copy of your personal data which TransPerfect holds about you
- The right to request that TransPerfect corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date
- The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary or otherwise required for TransPerfect to retain such data
- The right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- The right to request that TransPerfect provide you, as the data subject, with your personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller
- The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed on further processing
- The right to lodge a complaint with governmental agencies or Data Protection Authorities as provided for in the GDPR.
Transfer of Data Abroad
Your personal data will be stored in TransPerfect’s U.S. headquarters, and in its data center in the United States, as well as in the database of any electronic jobs board through which you applied for a position at TransPerfect.
If we wish to use your personal data for a new purpose not covered by this Data Protection Notice, we will provide you with a new notice explaining this new use prior to commencing the processing and setting out the relevant purposes and processing conditions. Where and whenever necessary, we will seek your prior consent to the new processing.
To exercise all relevant rights, queries or complaints, please contact:
Data Privacy Officer
Europe: +48 (22) 104 2990
US/Global: +1 646.589.6769
To opt out of receiving communication please visit TransPerfect’s Opt-Out Portal.
To exercise your rights to data rectification, erasure, portability, access and/or restricted processing, please email email@example.com.